Support for the Implementation of National Biosafety Framework of Lesotho (NBF) – Four Years (2011 – 2015 extended to 2018)
The Project, Support for the Implementation of National Biosafety Framework for Lesotho, was designed to build capacity to implement the Biosafety Legislation of Lesotho and to meet Lesotho’s international obligations under the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety. The was implemented between July 2011 and July 2018, with the following objectives;
- To integrate biosafety and biotechnology into national development plans
- To establish a fully functional and responsive regulatory regime in line with Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety and national needs
- To have a fully functional system for handling requests and applications
- To set up a system for monitoring environmental effects
- To establish fully functional systems for public awareness and education, public participation in decision making and access to information
The project targeted government line ministries, the private sector, non-governmental organisations, schools, institute of higher learning, customs officials, media and farmers.